Monday, 6 April 2009

one last thought for the day...

Ana is going to swimming lessons every day this week. I sat in the public gallery watching my little girl in the water today. I realised that it is the first time that she has been in the water with out either Ricardo or I. She was with a teacher she had only just met and three strange boys in her group.
I watched as she gleefully did as she was instructed, followed, copied, kicked, splashed and eventually powered herself across the pool. She got her head wet, went forwards and backwards and loved it.
Once she realised where I was, she would occasionally turn to wave and it was delightful.
I sat and couldn't help smiling so broadly that my face started to ache. I found myself crying as I watched a little girl involving herself happily when five minutes ago she was a little baby in my arms. I know that children can be hard work, especially the kind that don't sleep until they are over two years old (!!) I know that mummy spends most of her time fighting a sleep haze and wondering if she will ever manage to do all the things that she wants to do for and with her children, but I love them.
I sat today as I watched and was simply filled with love for the little girl in the pool. How delightful Ana is! How gentle and caring, how considerate and thoughtful, how able she is to have fun and laugh with glee. How privileged I am to be her Mama.
The First Presidency of the Church once wrote: "Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.”
Today, randomly sitting by the side of a public pool, I certainly felt the spirit of that statement and I certainly felt close to the angels, one of whom was in the water splashing and kicking.

Another of whom was in my lap desparately trying to strip naked and get into the water himself!

I love my children, they delight me and bring me closer to God.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I call those, motherhood paydays, they don't come around often, but when they do, they are amazing.