Thursday, 16 October 2008

An observation...

Everyone will tell you how much easier life will be when one of your children goes to school. As one of the other mothers said just the other day as her child returned after illness, "get in, back to normal". This was a bit extreme, even harsh, but honestly, I was looking forward to having time to tidy and clean and organise the house, go places with Michael, have some personal time in the middle of the day while he takes his nap, I thought it would be an era of new found order and bliss.
I would like to offer a different view point.
At first, yes, the novelty was quite liberating. Of course, I worried about Ana, how she would adjust, whether she would make friends, whether the teachers would be kind to her... I worried a lot - put it that way! Nevertheless, Ana, being the sunshine rae that we know and love, soaked it up. Took the adventure in her stride and took to the welsh language as a duck to water. Even the teachers are surprised how well she does being that she didn't go to "meithrin" (welsh for preschool/toddlers).
However, Ana's behaviour at home has altered and I admit, I missed the little girl with whom I have spent the last four years! Nevertheless I gritted my teeth and told myself it would pass she being tired, adjusting etc.
As some of you know she has been quite poorly with a nasty tummy bug and subsequently has been off school since Tuesday. I am keeping her home until Monday to make sure she is well again.
Since she has been home and we don't have to get up, get dressed, get out in the mornings, I have noticed that my day flows much better. I am able to work more consistently through the day and feel as though I have accomplished more than those days when we take her out at 8.30 and go to pick her up for 3.15. I also notice that I look forward to our time together more.

I really believe and feel increasingly strongly that 4 is too young to start full time education. I think that Ana is loving being in a group environment and likes to make friends and she likes to learn with other adults, not just Mummy, but I really feel that she would be much happier (as would I) if she were only going for mornings or for a couple of days a week.

We live in an area where it is commonly held that you are doing the children a favour in getting them out of their home environment as early as possible. It is believed that this "early intervention" will help to curb the ever increasing numbers of children with developmental delay syndromes and nutritional disorders and anti-social behavioural problems. As for me and my house, for all of my inadequacies and insufficiencies, this is the best place for us to be. I agree with taking advantage of the learning offered, but I have developed another understanding to the teachings that the greatest work that we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes and that no other success can compensate for failure in the home. I also come to understand how much I am drawn to being at home with my children, how much I value them and really should spend more time with them and learning who they are and who they are becoming.

Of course, this doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated or annoyed, overwhelmed or exasperated with them or with always being here, but I hope that what I have learned is a motivating incentive to get passed those feelings quickly and effectively.

1 comment:

Megan B ♥ said...

I agree, Sarah. Do you have any options?