Saturday, 15 November 2008

In life...

...we come across many different types of people. There are some with whom we make friends, others we work hard to learn to love, others still where it isn't such a labour and then another category which is rare and, when found, treasured always. This last category is one where the friendship made never feels new, it merely feels like a continuation from another time or place. Some people meet these friends, others only one, some, I may suppose might never experience such things. I have been blessed in my life to experience this last type of friendship.
Often, she is refered to as the other half of my brain and I have always felt a rightness around her, although she lives on the other side of the world, that rightness still permeates my life.

Megan has been pregnant with twins and just passed her 28 week marker. Then last weekend, her waters broke and she was rushed into the hospital. She and Justin underwent an emergency c-section, the loss of one of their little boys and the critical condition of Crew, the second twin. She describes very eloquently what happened in her own words and it is a deeply touching account of how sadness comes into life, changes it, yet because of the peace and understanding of both the gospel of Jesus Christ and his attendant Spirit, such sadness does not ruin life.

Megan writes and seems altered, changed and deeply touched by the influence of her two boys.

I know not if it is becuase of the "other brain" quality to the way I feel about her, but I have been deeply affected by this experience of hers. I have wept and cried on many different levels.
I have cried for babies I never knew, and will not know in this life. I have cried for a friend going through these experiences and the grieving that comes with them. I have cried because she is on the opposite side of the world from me and I felt useless being here and not near her. I have cried for the experiences of Justin. I think, on an incredibly selfish level, I have cried out of mourning for a connection which might be forever altered between us.
Ultimately, I cried because my friend was in pain and I felt helpless but to pray and put their names on the prayer roll in the Temple.

I am glad to read what she has written and feel that she and her family have been offered healing balm and it soothes the aftershocks around the world, wherever they are felt.

I love my friend, I can sense her deep loss and I feel a profound awe because of the tender mercies of a loving Father in heaven who knows that such situations come into the lives of his children on the earth, has perfect compassion for them as they pass through them and can perfectly understand the complex and deep emotions of parents as they go through the loss of a child.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Sara, I too have found some of my eternal friends and live far from them. It is hard to feel their burden and want to be there to care for them and to cry with them. I am so glad you have a blog, I have thought about you through the years and it is good to see you doing so well. :0) Alice