Friday, 5 December 2008

Thrills

When I was younger, I remember the absolute thrill of receiving a letter through the post. Someone was sending you something and not on your birthday! Later that thrill extended to phone calls received, more especially when it may have been a boy ringing! (Not that that happened exceptionally often!)
On my mission the thrill of letters was very much relived.
After my mission checking my inbox provided a similar effect.
As you grow older, the letters all seem to have little windows in them, so the thrill gradually diminishes. Phone calls seem to taper off, only on occasion do I get the thrill in my stomach when it's a voice I haven't heard for a long time (like my sister last Sunday!!)
Emails, have turned into blogs. So I read what is happening to friends in far off places and subsequently don't need to open the inbox.
However, I have just noticed that the thrill is back. When someone comments on your blog. You know someone is reading and commenting. The thrill is greater when you know you must be on line at the same time.
Perhaps it is sad and a sign of the times in a society that provides ever growing ways to be "connected" while you spend more and more time alone, but it was certainly a thrill to see that Amelia had made a comment on a post that I had more or less just finished.
I feel like my eight year old self standing by the letter box, looking down in awe at the letter just dropped through it... for me!

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Some people *cough cough* are so so excited about comments that they check the blog numerous times(read: obsessively) a day just to see if someone has shown them some bloggy love.