Sunday, 26 July 2009

Power of suggestion

Isn't it bizarre that because there is a pandemic of swine flu every sneeze, sniffle or bout of lethargy sends you into a near frenzy of panic that you have contracted the illness.

I have been feeling ill for a number of days now with the symptoms of a cold and although I am sneezing, feeling cold and needing to sleep slightly longer than usual, I can't help that little voice in the back of my mind fretting that we are all going to contract swine flu.

I feel somewhat like the man who was trapped in the back of a climate controlled truck and he wrote on the wall as he slowly froze to death. When he was discovered he had indeed died of exposure to extreme temperature and yet, the truck controls had not been on.

Nevertheless, as powerful as the mind can be, I hope that it doesn't conjure up swine flu and actually create the illness inside of me purely because I am aware that it might be there!

Where is this power of mind when I am trying to remember what it was I was just thinking of or why it is that I just got up and walked into the other room??
Where is it when trying to hold a coherent conversation with my peers?

Yes, absent is a good description for my power of mind or reclusive is a better term. My power of mind is skulking in the outer edges of my mind quietly trying to convince me that I don't have swine flu when it was actually this same quiet little voice that suggested that I might have it is the first place!!

Confused? And I wonder why I struggle to remember the end of the sentence I just started?

No comments: