Sunday, 22 February 2009

Billy Connolly:Journey to the edge of the world.

Anyone who knows me well enough will know how I feel about Scotland. Edinburgh is, and will always be, my "waters of Mormon" and I will always think of it as my home!
I'm watching Billy Connolly travel through Canada. He arrives and they are playing the pipes on the docks, he puts his hand up as if to his hear, inhales and says, "god's music". He then waxes lyrically about the beauties of pipe music. Although brought up to think of it as hideous, I have to admit that it touches me in a similar way (call me crazy if you think more in line with my mother!!!), part of me wells up with emotion when I hear them play. He then travels to New Brunswick and visits the highland games, which he says he finds a little odd, even creepy at first, but then they start with the drums and the pipes and part of him just melts and he's putty in their hands. Bless him, his eyes even glaze over!! He then says, "You can't refuse an occasion to make Scottish cool. You've got to admit, it is pretty nifty"

I thought, yup, he's right, it is!

No comments: